Thursday, December 25, 2014

Pav Bhaji - Fondue Style

Pav Bhaji - Fondue Style
 I heard about Fondue Pav bhaji recently from a friend in Mumbai. She had it at a restaurant called Zomato, along with other innovative fusion dishes. The idea really interested me. Not having ever eaten it, not even owning a fondue pot did not deter me :-) I immediately set about making it. I had some leftover mashed potatoes, which proved ideal to use up in this recipe since I wanted a smooth texture for the bhaji.

Here's how I made Fondue Style Pav Bhaji:

Heat 1 tsp oil + 1 tsp Amul butter in a pan. Fry 1/4 cup finely chopped onions for 5 mins on medium heat. Add 1/4 cup finely chopped green bell pepper, 1 tsp garlic paste and 1 tsp ginger paste. Fry another 5 mins. Add 1/4 cup tomato puree and 1 cup leftover mashed potatoes. Season with salt, pav bhaji masala (about 2 tsp each) and pinch of sugar. Stir well to mix. Add little water to prevent burning. Lastly add shredded cheddar cheese and mix well till it melts and blends with the bhaji. Garnish with finely chopped onions, cilantro. Squeeze some lemon juice onto the bhaji.

For the bread - I used pav (recently Indian stores in my area have started to carry pav). Cut each pav into 8 bite size pieces. Brush with melted Amul butter. Toast in a 350F oven for 5 to 10 mins till desired level of crispiness is achieved.

To serve - put the bhaji is the fondue pot. I do not have this, its on my list of post-Christmas sales hunting. So I just used a regular bowl. Put the toasted bread and fondue forks/skewers on the side.



My daughter and the friends who had come over for a sleepover loved it. I too loved the innovativeness of this dish. Hubby said he prefers the old-fashioned pav bhaji though. But I think this dish has a real wow factor (if you have a fondue pot) and will impress your guests at your next party.

Visiting Zomata and tasting it there is also on my to-do list next time I am in Mumbai.

This Fondue Style Pav Bhaji, using my leftover Mashed Potatoes, goes to the Dish It Out - Leftovers event at Full Scoops. This event was started by Vardhini.






No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails