My daughter and I recently made these from the Kids' Baking book by Sara Lewis. We had a lot of fun prepping these together and the end product was pretty good too...although not too sugary sweet. Here's how er made them:
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa pwd
1 tbsp boiling water
1 cup butter - at room temperature
2.5 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup superfine sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Dissolve the cocoa pwd in the boiling water until smooth. I had to add a few more drops for this.
2. Mix the butter, flour and sugar into a crumbly mix. Divide equally between 2 mixing bowls.
3. In one bowl, add the vanilla extract. I also added a few tsp milk to make it a little more pliable and easy for my daughter to work with. Knead well and keep aside.
4. Add the cocoa paste to the other bowl and knead well.
5. Roll out the two doughs between 2 sheets of parchment paper into 8 inch squares each.
6. Carefully place the cocoa dough over the vanilla dough. Roll the two together as tightly as possible.
7. Chill the roll for 15 mins. In the meanwhile, preheat oven to 325f.
8. Cut the rolls into about 16 slices. Place on ungreased baking sheet and bake for about 10 mins. Cool on the baking sheet before serving.
These shortbread spirals are off to the EFM - Cookies event at srishkitchen.
These also go to the Chocolate event at Poornima's Tasty treats.