Sunday, January 23, 2011

Whole Wheat Savory Zucchini Bread


I had made Zucchini Bread a few months back based on this recipe from Chef In You. This time I thought of making it in a loaf form using whole wheat flour. I tried it once last weekend, but my yeast gave me trouble and the dough did not rise as required. I tried it again this weekend, keeping a bowl of hot water in the oven along with my bread dough. I kept heating the water a coupl more time during the 2 hrs of rising time. This seemed to do the trick, since the dough rose beautifully.

So here's how I made the Whole Wheat Savory Zucchini Bread:

1 heaped cup of whole wheat flour
1 cup grated zucchini
1 packet active dry yeast
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt, pepper, pinch of sugar and Mrs. Dash Original Seasoning Blend

Grate the zuchhini, sprinkle a little salt and place in a colander to drain for 1/2 hr. Do not throw away the drained zucchini juice.
In a mixing bowl, put the wheat flour, yeast and seasonings, stir to mix. Add the oil and grated zucchini. Add a few tbsp water to the zucchini juice, warm it up and use this to knead the flour into a soft smooth dough. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and keep in a warm place to rise for 2 hrs.
Then gently punch down the risen dough and knead it lightly again. Shape into a loaf and keep it in an oiled loaf pan. Cover again with the plastic wrap. Let rise for another half hr.
Brush the top of the loaf with a little milk.
Bake in a pre-heated oven at 400F for about 30 mins till the top lightly browns.
Cool slightly, cut into slices and serve it slathered with some butter.

This Whole Wheat Savory Zucchini Bread goes to the Whole Wheat Breakfast event at Lite Bite.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails