Thursday, November 27, 2014

Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving to all celebrating today. I love the sentiment behind it, wish I could celebrate with my whole family here today. Last year I made this adorable veggie turkey shaped roll to take to a friends place. This year its just the 3 of us, so made few "fall leaves" for snacking and a mini apple pie for dessert to commemorate the occasion.


Here's how I made the fall leaves snack:

1 pack Pilsbury cresent roll

The pack contained 8 pre cut dough pieces.



Ball up each piece and roll into a circle of 1/4 cm thickness. Use a leaf shape cookie cutter or cut into leaf shape with a sharp knife.












Arrange on a cookie sheet lined with aluminium foil.












Bake in a preheated 375F oven for 10 mins, turning leaves over once in between.












Cool slightly for 5 mins. Then I have topped some with pesto (store bought); others with pizza sauce and rest with softened cream cheese (chives and onion flavored). I sprinkled some finely chopped orange and yellow bell peppers on the cream cheese. Finish off with shredded mozzarella cheese. Broil for 5 mins until mozzarella melts. Serve warm.


Mini Apple Pies:

For this also I went semi home made. Used store bought pie crust. For the filling, I used a recipe my daughter had used at school when in 3rd grade - 2 chopped apples (we did not peel them), 2 heaped tbsp sugar, pinch of salt, dash of all spice mix and 1 tsp lemon juice. Mix it all together.

Cut the pie crust per size needed.
Arrange in the mini pan thats lightly buttered. Prick 3 to 4 times with a fork. Fill the apple mix, piling up slightly in the center to make dome shape. Cover with pie crust cut in strips, arranged in a lattice shape. 
Bake in a pre heated 425F oven for 15 min. Then cover edges with aluminium foil to avoid excess browning and continue baking another 15 mins. Remove and let stand for 1/2 hour before serving. I like to have it a la mode, a slightly warm apple pie with slightly melting vanilla ice cream.







No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails