Sunday, October 12, 2008

Roasted veggies & pasta

I got this recipe from a co-worker. She is a very, very enthusiastic cook and has a vast collection of cookbooks. When she realized I also had similar interests, she started lending me a few of those at a time. This recipe if from a cookbook published by the Moosewood restaurant. The use of fennel seeds and the combination of veggies was what attracted me to this dish.

Here's how I made it.

1 cup chopped onions
2 cups chopped peppers - I used a combination of green, red, yellow and orange ones (See note)
2 cups chopped tomatoes
1/8th cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic - minced
1.5 tsp ground fennel
1.5 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1 cup uncooked small-shaped pasta (I used star-shaped pasta, orzo is also a good choice)

Preheat oven to 400F.
Place the chopped veggies in a large mixing bowl.
In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, garlic, fennel pwd, salt, pepper and pour over the veggies. Toss to coat well.
Spread the veggies in a single layer on a nonreactive baking sheet. Roast for 15 mins. Remove from the oven, stir in the basil and return to the oven. Roast another 10 mins, stir and continue to roast for about 5 more mins.
While the veggies are roasting, cook the pasta in boiling, salted water till al dente.
Drain the pasta and mix with the veggies to serve.

We had this as a light Sunday lunch, but I think it would make a great side to a larger meal... perhaps a non-traditional dish for a traditional Thanksgiving or Christmas meal, especially if you have some vegetarian friends or family members at your table. Hence it is off to the Monthly Mingle - Sensational Sides event at Ruth's Kitchen. This event is the brain child of Meeta of What's for Lunch Honey?

Note - The original recipe also calls for zucchinis & mushrooms, but I did not have these on hand, so I replaced them with extra peppers. I would highly recommend using these as they take the dish up a whole new level. Hubby did the grocery shopping this weekend & despite having my list of items, he just bought a lot of colored peppers as they were on sale!





10 comments:

Unknown said...

I just love pasta..And what tastes better than roasted veggies!!Looks great ..

Sangeeth said...

hey this is a very healthy one! nice entry to MM

Usha said...

Looks colorful and delicious...the soup below looks pretty yum too :)

Prema Sundar said...

nice and colorful supriya.. glad to know that u liked the tomato rice recipe.

Praneetha said...

chk out my blog for a surprise

raaji said...

I have tsted the previous tofu curry once ..........i really couldnt guess what it was at that time.....i kept eating thinking it to be egg......but later when i came to know it was tofu i simply stopped making scrambled egg....this pasta is definitely healthy one....

Praneetha said...

You are tagged. Check my blog:
http://invasionofmind.blogspot.com/2008/10/20-questions-about-me.html

Sagari said...

pasta looks very colorfull

Sunshinemom said...

My daughter made this sometime back - must have tasted delicious. I like the colourful look!

Supriya said...

Divya,Sangeeth,Usha,Prema, Raaji, Sagari, Sunshinemom - Thankx for your encouraging words girls.

Praneetha - Thankz for the beautiful butterfly award. Sorry for the delay, I was out of town. As for the 20 questions, I just read them on ur blog...u've dealt with them so well.I am totally hopeless at such stuff so I beg to be excused this time.

Related Posts with Thumbnails