Monday, September 28, 2009

Green Beans Salad


I few weeks back on our trip to the local Trader Joe's store, Green Beans Salad samples were being passed out. My daughter loved it so much, she couldn't stop at one. Given that she loved such a healthy, easy dish so much, I simply had to make it at home. I have since made it several times and even given it to her in her lunch box. It turned out especially well when I got a pack of absolutely tender green beans at Costco recently.

Here's how I make it:
Handful of green beans - chopped about 1.5 inch long
Olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste - TJ sample had lemon pepper, but I have not yet tried it with this. Instead, I use Mrs. Dash Garlic & Herb seasoning. Any of ur favorite seasoning should work.
Chopped nuts like almonds/walnuts for garnish

Steam the green beans for about 5 mins till slightly tender but still with a bite. Toss with olive oil, salt, seasonings. Garnish with nuts - this was my touch to the salad.

I have not given specific amounts above - you can just eyeball it depending on your preference. Generally, I have made this pretty bland since that's how my daughter likes it. I have myself also been trying to scale down my salt intake and this dish made me realize how with minimal seasonings, the freshness of the vegetable can really stand out.

This Green Beans Salad goes to the Kids Delight event at Spice Your Life.


I am updating this post 9/30 with 2 pictures by my daughter that are on our fridge door.


Shri Ganesh

Balakrishna


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds very easy and healthy as well!

Sushma Mallya said...

Thats a very healthy salad supriya..

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

Your kids such healthy stuff - lucky you... Lovely healthy dish

Related Posts with Thumbnails