Friday, February 6, 2015

Dumplings and vegetables soup


Dumplings and Vegetable Soup
Dumplings and Vegetables Soup

A recent edition of Relish food magazine that comes with our newspaper had a recipe for chicken and dumplings soup. I based this soup on that, but of course made it vegetarian. Spices and veggies can be modified to suit your taste as this is a very versatile recipe. I went for a Mexican flavor for the soup.

Here's how I made Dumplings and Vegetables Soup:

Heat 2 tsp olive oil. Saute handful of onions till softened, about 5 to 7 mins on medium heat. Add finely minced garlic (1 clove) and cook 2 mins. Add veggies - I have used frozen Trader Joe's Veg Medley and frozen chopped spinach. Cook till thawed. Add 3 cups vegetable broth, 1 cup salsa, 1 tsp cumin pwd, 1/4 tsp paprika, little salt and sugar to taste.

For the dumplings - take 1/2 cup Bisquick mix. Add handful of finely chopped or grated veggies - I have used finely chopped colored peppers and grated carrots. Add 1 tbsp shredded cheese if desired - I have used Mexican cheese blend. Add little seasonings to taste - I used salt, pepper and cumin pwd. Add about 2 tbsp milk, little by little, and mix till it comes together like dough.

Add the dumplings mix, spoonful at a time, to the soup. Cook uncovered for 10 mins on medium heat, stirring once in a while. Then cover and cook on low for 10 mins. Add more broth or water as needed to get desired consistency. I kept the soup quite thick, not runny.

Serve this soup hot/warm. We enjoyed it with some quesadillas.



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails